The Deerwood Foundation was formed with the following charitable purposes:
- Camper Scholarships -To provide financial assistance to allow boys between the ages of eight and fifteen years to attend Camp Deerwood. Such assistance will be provided without regard to race, religion or national origin of the recipient, and will allow boys to attend Camp Deerwood who would not otherwise be able to do so for financial reasons.
- Counselor Fellowships – The Tree Talk Fellowship is a program where the Foundation can provide counselors with promising leadership potential, who may need extra support, to make a summer at Deerwood more financially feasible.
- To underwrite the travel and other expenses of counselors from foreign countries in order to enrich the experience of the campers at Camp Deerwood and to afford an opportunity for young people from foreign countries to learn about the American camping experience.
- To establish a permanent endowment fund to serve as a future source of support for the purposes of the Foundation.
- To receive unrestricted donations from individuals and corporations who wish to provide financial support to the Foundation to carry out its purposes.